Do you know how sometimes you are really excited about your business, your clients and even your to-do list. And then sometimes your not. What I find is that if you don't take sufficient time off for rest, family and rejuvenation you tend to burn out….and you can burn out quite quickly if you are doing new things in your business that both excite and scare you. And that's what happened to me last week. I was both excited and scared to put myself out in the world in a whole new way last week. I started blogging for the first time in my life, I did my first two videos ever, (one of which I used in my blog and one that I sent to be in a virtual trade show) and I found out that a book that I am part of was going to be in print last week. All good things I wanted but all very public and new for me.
And I find that I have a real fear around being public. Deep down I sense it's a fear of being judged by others. Judged by my friends, my family, my peers and even strangers. And logically the fear doesn't make sense. I'm a competent person with a lot of information to share that will really help others. I'm in control of what I write or video about. And my left brain fully understands that you can't please everyone and that someone may disagree with my opinion or position on something. So I know all of this and still there is a general fear that has been holding me back for several years. I have been working with several coach/mentors/spirits and guides that have helped me "feel the fear and do it anyway" and that's what I hope to do for you because I know I am not alone in this. Fear of being judged is a huge mindset obstacle that I coach my clients around every day. However, knowing it and breaking through it are two different things.
Tips for Moving Through Fear in Your Business:
1) Acknowledge it. You can't deal with anything that you are ignoring. Only after you acknowledge it can you then make a choice about what you are going to do about it. And all good choices involve taking action such as those listed next.
2) Mediate around it. Ask your spirits/guides/higher-self/divine for help in understanding and breaking through the fear.
3) Journal about it and get clear about exactly what you are afraid of. You can also journal about what is true vs what you are worried about. Also write down any insights you get that you think you should "DO" to help yourself. .
4) Read material to help you deal with fear and breakthrough – A great book to help in this area is "Feel the Fear And Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers
5) Find a coach/mentor/friend/healer or community to help you deal with and breakthrough your fear by providing a sounding board and support system when you need it.
6) Take actions and get evidence that your fear has no basis.
7) Pay attention to your body and your moods and notice when it is time to pull back and rest and renew your energy. Remember that doing something scary take a lot of mental, emotional, physical and spiritual energy. If your a spiritual entrepreneur you will be even more affected by moving through your own fear. You may even have very physically symptoms of the fear that show up as aches, pains, headaches etc. Where ever your weak points are. Know that this is your body telling you it is time for a rest. (not a full stop – you don't want to stop when things get hard). So make a choice to take a rest with a plan to return to those activities on a certain day.
8) Get back into action and repeat the steps above that work for you. Drop perfection and know that you can pick up right where you left off.
So when I was feeling physically ill with a bad headache last week I knew that I had to stop "being public" for a few days. There was some guilt for not blogging when I know that consistency is a key to building a business, but I also know that balance is also a key to business success and it was time for balance. I decided that I would take 3 days off as it was a holiday weekend here in Canada. So I saw my naturopath and got some help to balance my body after such a week (got support). I also had a discussion with my partner about what was going on and what I needed (got more support) Then I rested and read. After that I felt more energized and made full turkey dinner with a homemade cream pie (just like my mom's ) and enjoyed my daughters visit from university for our Thanksgiving weekend. But I did it all with a plan to get back to blogging on Monday morning.
So here I am this morning. Blogging and feeling good about my time off because I had support and I had a plan.
If you are a spiritual entrepreneur who would like to move forward in your business but fears are stopping you then let me be your guide and your support. We will be opening to take membership soon (so you will have even more supporters) but for now sign up for our weekly newsletter and get tips around this subject and so much more.
Have a blessed and successful day.